This week #MakeoverMonday is collaborating once again with the team of the SDG Action Campaign ahead of the Global Goals week during the UN General Assembly.
A survey was opened to respondents from the events industry to measure their commitment to sustainability, relating to the different SDGs.
The original viz shows the responses for the different goals:
What works well:
- The colors and icons reflect the SDG branding
- The filters look neat and are positioned at the top, a location where users are likely to expect them
- The tooltips are neat and responsive
- Each SDG has its own section
- The text for each action commitment is listed in full
What could be improved:
- There is no context provided: what are we actually looking at and why should we care?
- It is unclear what the action commitments are and what the different colors of the stacked bars relate to
- The suggested actions are difficult to understand
What I did:
- Looking at my critique of the original, I decided to add a little bit of context into my viz but to still keep it very simple overall.
- What I found interesting – and hat tip to Steven Watson for exploring that side of the data – was how many people responded that they want to take action on a specific topic but didn’t know how to.
- I decided to strip away all the other information and let the ‘helplessness’ stand on its own, because that is an issue that needs to be addressed if we as a human race want to have any chance of making a change.
- Here is my viz: