For week 18 we are tackling another #Viz5 subject, this time the topic of obstetric fistula, which is the focus of our #MakeoverMonday collaboration partner Operation Fistula. May is a month focused on Fistula Awareness with 23rd May being the International Day to End Obstetric Fistula. So the team at OpFistula provided us with a dashboard about obstetric fistula in Madagascar and the underlying data, so we could create makeovers.
The original visualization looks like this:
What works well:
- A good overview of obstetric fistula in Madagascar, the characteristics of patients and the outcomes, as well as the impact on their lives.
- Simple layout and color choices.
- Descriptions of each metric are included.
What could be improved:
- Obstetric Fistula is such an emotional topic with huge implications for the women suffering from the condition, and this does not come across from this dashboard.
- Missed opportunity to have a call to action or for the audience to learn more.
- Insights need to be visualized more effectively.
What I did:
- Viz5 datasets always take me longer than other ones, because to do them justice requires extra analysis, research and thinking.
- What I wanted to show this week is the grim reality of obstetric fistula as well as the opportunity that comes from the work OperationFistula are doing with patients and surgeons in Madagascar.